Craving fast food? Here is a delicious recipe for you to try! I found this on Food Babe's website and I must say that she is a genius!!!
Ingredients (Adapted from Food Babe's recipe^^):
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup pickle juice
- Pickles (depends on how many you want on your sandwich)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (I accidently used baking powder and recipe came out fine)
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Pound chicken to 1/2 inch thick, then cut in half to equal sizes. Note: Food Babe suggests that this is done 4 hours before or the day before. However, I forgot and ended up only doing this process roughly 2 hours before I planned to cook it.
- Sprinkle breasts with salt, pepper, and 1/2 t paprika (I omitted this because I ran out of paprika).
- Place seasoned breasts in container with 1 cup pickle juice and allow to marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
Once ready to bake:
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, paprika*, and dry mustard* (Once again, I left these out because I did not have them. I chose to season the dry mix with a little cayenne pepper and a little more salt & pepper).
- In another bowl, mix egg whites & almond milk.
- Dip chicken breast in egg/almond milk mixture, then coat with flour mixture, and place on wire rack on baking sheet.
- Spray both sides of each breast with olive oil (or other cooking spray).
- Bake in oven at 450 for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, flip chicken and cook for another 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Once done, allow to slightly cool.
- Place chicken breast on bun with pickles, and serve! I chose to toast my buns in the toaster oven and leave out the butter that Food Babe's recipe called for. My whole family loved the sandwiches so much that they took the leftovers to school & work for lunch. :)